Now that fall is in full swing and winter is just around the corner, you probably aren’t getting out on your boat as much as you did in the summer, if at all. Boats are designed for the water, so you might not think too much of leaving your boat docked and unused during the winter months, but proper winterization of your boat is essential if you want it to continue working the way it should when spring and summer roll around again. Neglecting boat winterization is a big mistake, so it’s important to understand how to do it properly. Here are some tips from boat dealers in Fenton, MI to help you out:
- Oil change: Just like other modes of transportation, boats require regular oil changes to keep their engines running smoothly. Without regular oil changes, your engine will begin to lose efficiency and the risk of engine damage and corrosion increases. By changing your oil before the winter months, you can keep your engine primed for more efficient operation throughout the year.
- Corrosion prevention: One of the most significant concerns when it comes to boats in the winter is engine corrosion. You can protect your engine against corrosion by fogging your engine cylinders. Fogging your cylinders involves spraying an aerosol solution inside your boat engine to keep corrosion at bay.
- Engine draining: Draining your water is an important winterization step. When water is left in your engine, it can freeze and cause damage to your engine block and manifolds. You can drain your engine by opening the petcocks beneath your engine manifolds. Once they’re opened, water will drain out through a hose at the bottom of the pump.
- Fuel treatment: Using an engine stabilizer before the winter months keeps your boat’s systems unclogged and prevents complications from arising during the cold season. You can treat your fuel by adding a fuel stabilizer and running your boat’s engine for about 10 minutes so that the fuel is circulated through every part of your boat’s engine.
- Winter storage: When it comes time to stop using your boat for the season, it’s important to store it safely during the months that it’s not in use. To prevent corrosion, ice accumulation and damage from harsh weather, it’s a good idea to dry dock your boat during the winter. Dry docking gets your boat out of the water and allows boat technicians to perform inspections, maintenance and repairs as necessary to get your boat in the best condition possible.
You can find out more about boat winterization and get professional winterization services from the team at Lake Ponemah Marina. For 25 years, we have been providing a wide variety of boat services, including boat detailing, repairs, sales, maintenance and more. Whether you need a basic tune-up for your boat or you’re interested in visiting boat dealers in Fenton, MI to purchase a new vessel, our team is here to help. Simply stop by or give us a call to find out more about how we can assist you.